Emsworth Yacht Harbour becomes employee-owned

United Kingdom
18th April 2024

Emsworth Yacht Harbour becomes employee-owned

Emsworth Yacht Harbour, a marina on the south coast of the UK, has sold a controlling stake to an Employee Ownership Trust.

Emsworth Yacht Harbour has been in operation since 1965, and was acquired by the Wakelin family in the 1990s, with Alison Wakelin taking the helm as Managing Director in 2006. With substantial investment in the facilities, the site has grown to offer boat berthing, handling, and storage, together with a range of ancillary services provided by tenant businesses, including a restaurant, shipwrights, engine repair and rigging services. It is believed this current transaction makes it the UK’s first employee-owned marina.

An Employee Ownership Trust now holds 80% of the company’s shares on behalf of its 12 employees, with members of the Wakelin family retaining the remaining 20%. As part of the move, Tom Marfleet will become Managing Director and Alison Wakelin will move to a Non-Executive Director role.

Alison Wakelin said:

Employee Ownership Trusts (EOTs) are the fastest growing form of business ownership in the UK – according to the Employee Ownership Association, the total number of employee-owned businesses in the UK is now over 1,500.

Successive studies have shown that EOTs motivate employees to drive further growth, foster innovation and encourage entrepreneurial behaviours as they collectively have a stake in the long-term success of the company and stand to benefit from profits.

James de le Vingne, CEO of the EOA, commented:

Tom Marfleet continued:

Emsworth Yacht Harbour’s move to employee ownership has been facilitated by a team of advisers from Blake Morgan LLP and Menzies LLP with Andrew Harrison of Co-ownership Solutions helping communicate with the employees and other stakeholders.

About Emsworth Yacht Harbour


No comment yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertise with M&M 
Follow us

To stay up-to-date with Marine & Maritime Opportunities, follow us on social media.